Saturday 18 May 2013

Dolphin Origami




Dolphin - Designed by Quentin Trollip. Wet-folded by backwards7, from a 12 inch square of Khadi paper.

I wanted to use a heavier paper, a nice light-grey Elepanthide would have been ideal. Unfortunately the dorsal thin contains a great many stacked layers. Thicker papers can't handle the stress when these are folded in half and have a tendency to tear along the top seam.

I also attempted to fold the model from a sheet of silk threads, which is a half-step up from tissue paper, but slightly more robust. That wasn't particularly satisfactory either, as other parts of the model have relatively few layers and the end result looked a bit flimsy.

I like the graceful arc of this design which captures the dolphin in the moment of both leaving and reentering the water.

In hindsight I think I should have done a bit more work on the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment